Saturday, January 21, 2012

Orbital Camera Rig, Part 1

I have really enjoyed screencasting lately. I find that it is fantastic motivation to do my homework. However, there is a problem: not all of my homework can be done on my computer. Specifically, I am taking a structural steel class and an architectural drafting class which both require hand sketches. Last week, I played around with that a little bit by propping my laptop on an angle and using it's webcam which was okay, but it didn't give all that good of coverage and my drawings were a little difficult to see. So yesterday I decided to model a camera rig. First, I  measured my coffee table (as that's probably where the rig is going to be spending most of its working time).



Then, I downloaded a pile of PVC components from Google's 3D Warehouse and built the model. I used the model to calculate parts and quantities, then made a trip to Home Depot to acquire the parts. To mount the camera, I am using a tutorial I found on Instructables. Here's the model.





No comments:

Post a Comment